Monday, August 6, 2018

Teaching the Writing Process- The FUN Way!

I like to make things fun.  It helps my students learn more effectively.  It makes their lives more enjoyable.  It sets a nice tone for our classroom. It makes my job that much nicer too.  That's why I like to do fun things with my class, and teaching the writing process is no exception.

Singing/chanting is a great way to start teaching the writing process.  Anyone who has ever had a commercial jingle stuck in their head knows that songs can really help something stick!  That's why some teacher friends and I made up the following chant while we were at a writing conference:



@ Writing Process Chant ?
By Courtney Thompson, Tabatha Colson, & Stephanie Madison


First you take an idea and you plan it, you plan it!
Then you take your plan and you draft it, you draft it!

Writing…Writing Process!  (Wri-TING!  Wri-TING!)

Next you take your draft and you expand it, expand it!
Now you’re going to want to edit, you edit!

Writing…Writing Process!  (Wri-TING!  Wri-TING!)


Write your final copy and you share it, you share it!
Now you’re a published author so you celebrate, you celebrate!

Writing…Writing Process!  (Wri-TING!  Wri-TING!)



After I model the chant (their job is to listen, follow along on the chant with their eyes as I sing it, and identify important/high level vocabulary), then I have the students sing it with me.  After that, they sing it in small groups and make up hand movements that symbolize each part of the writing process.  What are your favorite educational songs and chants?  Please paste one below, and I'll publish it on my blog for thousands to see! Did you try this song in your class?  Leave a comment below, and make sure to subscribe so you don't miss my new posts!  Happy singing and teaching!



4 comments:

  1. Everything looks fantastic.Amazing i m really impress with your content and very useful it. whongnhungtran

    ReplyDelete

  2. Best selection i m really impress with your content and very useful it. inventreviewzone

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buy Pencil Grips for Kids Handwriting from amazon : Gripper for Right or Left Handed. Handwriting Training for Preschool, Ergonomic Pen Grip, Aids Arthritis, Finger Cushion Holder, Writing Accessories 4PCS

    ReplyDelete
  4. This site is really cool! I found here alot of information that I was looking for. I am really happy to be a part of This site!'hydroglobalreview

    ReplyDelete