Thursday, August 23, 2012

One Cent Conditioner (& Shampoo Too!)

I've been thinking about trying these very inexpensive, less chemical-filled, alternatives to shampoo and conditioner for some time, and I'm wondering if any of you have tried them?  I've tried the conditioner on my dog, and it seems to work well.  As a general rule, I try to only buy shampoo when I can get it for $1/bottle for namebrand stuff (this is usually accomplished by combining sales and coupons together).  This recipe is cheaper and it has fewer chemicals/detergents/harm of the environment.  Here's how to make shampoo and conditioner for about a penny per use:
Mix a cup of water and a tablespoon of bakin soda in a bottle.  After wetting your hair in the shower, just squirt it on the roots of your hair and rub it in.  This is supposed to be a gentler way to clean your hair with fewer chemicals than regular shampoo and no detergents that strip the natural oils from  your hair. 



For the conditioner, just mix 1 cup of HOT water with 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a bottle.  Then squirt it on the tips of your hair to condition it.  This seemed to help soothe the irritated skin of Keely Dog, our pooch, when she had some hot spots, and the apple cider vinegar smell was an improvement from regular dog smell!

I've heard that, depending upon your hair/skin type, it can take some adjusting to get used to this new shampoo/conditioner system as it no longer strips all the oil from you hair.  For some people, it takes a few months for their hair to stop producing so much oil, but I've heard that for most people it just takes 2 weeks or so to make the change. I'm thinking over Thanksgiving Break would be a great time to try this.  Have you tried this or another homemade recipe?  Are you brave enough to try this one?


P.S. The pictures are borrowed from another blog, who borrowed it from somewhere else, so thanks to "Heather" for the borrowing of your graphics! :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Nice stuff. I am very glad that I found your blog. hair care products " Keep sharing such kind of useful information. Excellent one.
    Hair DoctorIn Bangalore

    ReplyDelete